Seite 1 von 6 123 ... LetzteLetzte
Ergebnis 1 bis 10 von 57

Thema: Unbrick procedure for NAS 4220

Standard Unbrick procedure for NAS 4220

Hello,

I'm sure that the answer must be somewhere on the forum but I did'nt find it. Unfortunately my NAS suddenly stop to work....

My configuration is as follow:
    NAS 4220 v1.2
    HD = 2 * SAMSUNG HD753LJ (750 GB)
    File configuration = RAID 1 with ext3 file system
    Computer = Ubuntu 8.04

In order to fix the spindown bug, I have using the "2.6.0.IB.1.RS.1-webup-PerriN-v0.2" firmware.

One day my NAS was not anymore reachable. I tried to reboot the NAS a lot of time without success. The web interface was working nice but the HD were not visible or not correctly detected (wrong size, RAID not detected,..)

With FTP the structure file was approximatly good (some files had bad characters in the name...) but it was impossible to download data.

I finally decided to flash my box with the new firmware from RS: 2.6.3.IB.1.RS.1

Unfortunalty I have done that with the USB key inserted in the BOX, and when the operation has been finished, I lost completly the access to the web interface (with or without usb key). The web interface has been one time loaded (with the USB key) but after a second start the box was broken...

I think the NAS is bricked and I'm looking for a procedure in order to unbricked it. Is it mandatory to do it with a cable? Is it possible to do it with telnet? Do you know where I can find a tuto?

Concerning my data I found a solution with the program "testdisk". One of my HD is now in my computer (I destruted the RAID system and rebuilt a new file table) and I can access to all my data. I didn't modified the second disk...

Thank you in advance for your help.

Experte
    Mein NAS
    N2B1 & IB4220 & WNDR3700v2 with OpenWRT

Standard

Hello time76,

Check first if your NAS boots without any HDD, the IP for the BOX must be 192.168.1.1.

If you can't connect your BOX, you need a serial cable.

Please don't connect any serial line from your computer or usb-converter directly to your BOX. The voltage for the serial port is only 3,3V, you will damage your BOX.

The easy way, is to buy a usb-converter cable for cellular-phones, i.e Siemens ME45 or euqivalent. A good source for cabeling layout is www.pinouts.ru

You must do also some soldering, on the "cable-side"
    Required is only one transistor PNP "small signal" and 2 Resistors (1,5kOhms and 2,2 kOhms)

See my circuit

http://forum.nas-portal.org/showpost...4&postcount=36

E-mAn
    Some random kernel coder
    Lots of stuff attached to serial console
    https://github.com/ulli-kroll

Standard

Hi,
    sorry to intervene

1. the default ip is 192.168.0.200 I think

2. if you need to buy a cable you should buy one with a FTDI FT232R chip and with all 8 signal lines routed to a connector like this one here.

This USB adapter is supported by the latest NAS_FlashTool in case you need to flash the bootloader through JTAG.
    And it can be used for the serial console, too.

For Nas_FlashTool help start here.

Regards,
    HWguru
    Angehängte Grafiken Angehängte Grafiken
    Geändert von HWguru (08.02.2010 um 01:50 Uhr)

Standard

Thank you for the both answer.
    I will try to built a cable (my box is definitely bricked). I have maybe already a cable compatible with the solution from E-man. I will check that quickly.
    The other solution from HWguru seems also to be well documented.

I have a look and come back here when I have some progress.

Standard

Hello,

My cable is a bad solution. It's a USB/RS232 converter based on a pl2303 chipset. However the signal level is not good for the 4220 box (-8V / +10V ).

I bought the HWguru cable on ebay and i'm waiting the parcel.

Unglücklich

Zitat Zitat von HWguru Beitrag anzeigen
    Hi,
    2. if you need to buy a cable you should buy one with a FTDI FT232R chip and with all 8 signal lines routed to a connector like this one here.

Hi!

I just tried to upgrade firmware to 2.6.3.1 under Firefox and the damn thing is dead - HDD light is constantly on after power on without any harddrives attached.

I'm complete linux and electronics noob - no soldering experience at all - is there any place with step by step guide on how to restore my NAS 4220 to working state? What cables do I need, how to put everything to work, what should I do after connecting this cable? I stress that I'm complete noob...

Thank you for your help.

Greetings

Michał

Standard

Zitat Zitat von emjot Beitrag anzeigen
    Hi!

I just tried to upgrade firmware to 2.6.3.1 under Firefox and the damn thing is dead - HDD light is constantly on after power on without any harddrives attached.

I'm complete linux and electronics noob - no soldering experience at all - is there any place with step by step guide on how to restore my NAS 4220 to working state? What cables do I need, how to put everything to work, what should I do after connecting this cable? I stress that I'm complete noob...

Thank you for your help.

Greetings

Michał
    Same problem here (discussed in other thread). Has anyone tried the UTP cross-cable solution to connect it directly to the PC LAN port ?

Standard

Hi,
    there is no "noob compatible" guide.

You may follow the unbricking guide for the MRT family. Giganas is pretty similar to 4220. The unbricking procedure is the same, except that the firmware is different.

In any case you need a 3.3V serial adapter for accessing the bootloader.
    Accessing the bootloader through network does NOT work for 4220 and Giganas.

If you bootloader does not work any more, you need to flash it with NAS_Flashtool. This requires soldering a connector or wires to the board and will void your warranty.

If the procedure described in the guide sounds too complicated for you, it is the best if you return the NAS to your dealer or ask Raidsonic support.

HWguru

Standard

In any case you need a 3.3V serial adapter for accessing the bootloader.
    Accessing the bootloader through network does NOT work for 4220 and Giganas.
    Thank you for your reply! It's becoming clearer... . I'll try this unbrick procedure...

I found this adapter (google translate) on allegro (polish ebay equivalent) - will it work?
    How should I connect (solder) this converter to my NAS? My friend agreed to help me with this - but I need connection scheme...

Thank you!

Standard

Hi,
    sorry to intervene

1. the default ip is 192.168.0.200 I think

This USB adapter is supported by the latest NAS_FlashTool in case you need to flash the bootloader through JTAG.
    And it can be used for the serial console, too.

For Nas_FlashTool help start here.

Regards,
    HWguru
    Hello,

I have received the cable.... It's exactly the same than the picture. I made some measurements and the power supply is 5V (from USB). I tried to change the position of the two jumpers but the result is always the same (+5V). How I can change it for 3.3V?

Thank you