X
  • Filter
  • Zeit
  • Anzeigen
Alles löschen
neue Beiträge

• SPD8020 interne Festplatte wechseln

Hallo,
    da mir das SPD8020 zu klein wurde frage ich mich ob ich die interne Festplatte wechseln kann. Ich würde gerne eine 2TB Platte reinstecken.
    Klar, da ist auch Linux, also das System drauf.
    Aber geht das evtl. indem man den Datenträger auf einen größeren spiegelt. z.B. mit Symantec Norton Ghost oder ähnlichem?
    Die Linux Partitionen anlegen sollte kein Problem sein, aber wie bekomme ich die Bootspur auf die neue Platte.
    Oder hat Philips etwas eingebaut was das unmöglich macht?
    Abfrage der Seriennummer der Platte oder dgl.
    Hat das schon jemand gemacht oder weiß etwas darüber?
    Danke!
    Wolfgang

yes it can be exchanged, if a 2 TB dik will work will depend if the linux version is able to format and adress it. It will use ext3 format so I expect it will be no problem. But need to check if ext3 supports up to 2 TB
    There are users that replaced the disk by a 1 TB version. Think I will write a small how to. But probably using norton ghost to make an image of the existing disk and write that to a bigger one will work as ghost able to expand a partition. However a 500 GB image can be difficult to store. I would be simpler to simple put to right partition structure on the new disk install the firmware and some other files you will need and startatr from scratch

Kommentar

>>> Think I will write a small how to.

Ooh that would be great, because it dont work with Norton Ghost 2003.
      My Version of Ghost is too old.
      If I want to ghost from "disk to disk" I get the errormessage "target disk to small", but I used a 2TB target disk.
      I think it would be better to create a disk with linux/ext3 partitions.
      But I have no linux installed.
      Can I do this with the SDP8020?
      If this is not possible I install a small linux version on my PC and create the disk there.
      I know the basics in linux but a small help would make it easier for me.

Here the Diskinformation:

Disk /dev/sda: 500.1 GB, 500103634432 bytes 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60800 cylinders
      Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
      /dev/sda1 * 1 13 104391 83 Linux
      Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
      /dev/sda2 14 26 104422+ 83 Linux
      Partition 2 does not end on cylinder boundary.
      /dev/sda3 27 58 257040 82 Linux swap
      Partition 3 does not end on cylinder boundary.
      /dev/sda4 59 60763 487612912+ f Win95 Ext'd (LBA)
      Partition 4 does not end on cylinder boundary.
      /dev/sda5 59 106 385528+ 83 Linux
      /dev/sda6 107 60763 487227321 83 Linux

I cannot find the mountpoint of each device, only this one:

Filesystem Type 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
      /dev/sda6 ext3 487135856 325979544 161156312 67% /share/1000

Thx for your help.
      Wolfgang

Kommentar

seems you have one of these spd8020 with small partition sa1 and sda2, meaning you can not install fvdw firmware 4.2 or higher. So when putting the new disk in we are going to correct that as well. You will need to dismantle the disk and put the new one, also changing partitions on a running system is not possible so we need to prepare the new disk using another PC. Its relative easy. I will write the how to this weekend for you (its too late now) what you will need is a knoppix CD to boot your PC into linux. That can be downloaded form the internet. Also another bootable linux CD will do.
        Also you need to connect the new drive to that PC using a sata port or a sata->usb connector (external harddisk enclosure).

Kommentar

Hi Wolf here it is a "small" how to.
          It has become more extensive as I thought but now also less experienced users should be able to do it.
          Needed to cut it in two files because of file size limits on this board for uploading pdf's

Please let me know if it worked for you, there might be some improvement necessary
          Angehängte Dateien

Kommentar

Oh, thank you very very much.
            I check it and give you a feedback.
            Wolfgang

>>> you can not install fvdw firmware 4.2 or higher
            Yes I noticed this a few days ago. Now I know the reason. Thx. :-)
            Zuletzt geändert von Wolf359; 29.11.2009, 12:44.

Kommentar

You made a very good manual with fine instructions. Thank you.

I tried it with a 2TB Disk but it doesn't work.
              I am shure I followed the instructions exactly.
              Than I tried it again but it doesn't work.
              The above blue LED is blinking. It,s a pity that there is no console
              so that I could read the bootinformations to see the booterrors.
              Can I redirect the console messages during boot to a file?
              (I was HP-UNIX Admin 6 years ago but I have forgotten something.)

I think I try it again and make a diskdump from the original disk to the new disk. (without the imagefiles)
              If this also doesn't work, than I try a smaller disk.

Thank you! Wolfgang

EDIT: I tried to boot the new disk in my PC and I received the message "Error loading operating system"
              I think the MBR will not be correct, but I transferd the image as you described.
              I try to transfer the MBR from disk to disk.
              Zuletzt geändert von Wolf359; 30.11.2009, 00:34.

Kommentar

That is strange.
                In principle 2 TB should be possible with this kernel (its a 2.6..) You could try to make partion sdb6 a little smaller for example 1 TB (so use as max cylinder the setting for 1 TB for sdb6) Other users were succesfully using a 1 TB disk.

That the led is blinking is ok it means the boot script is running and probably waiting for something
                Unfortunate there is no simple way to get console message. The serial port on the the mainboard has no connector, you need to solder a connector first and use a rs232 TTL converter.

Need to check the instructions maybe I overlooked something

Kommentar

well the MBR must be taken from the original HDD in the spd8020
                  It contains the partition table and some basic settings used by the bootloader that is is flash. This disk will not boot when connected to a normal PC.

Can you post the partition table you made on the new disk ?
                  PS Don't forget to set the boot flag , but only on one partition sda1 or sda2

Kommentar

I checked the procedure and can not find anything wrong with it

instead of using the image from sda1 and sda2 from your original hard disk you could use also the firmware 5.1 that you can download from convopit. The bin file in the rar archive is a bz compressed file you can extract it when using linux using the tar command ( tar -xjvf fvdw-upgrade.bin) this will give you the disk image (about 157 MB)

Also check after you have written the image of sda5 to sdb5. Mount sdb5 on your PC running linux and check if there is a folder /etc and if that contains a file with name nas_conf_db.xml
                    This is the main database of the nas, it will need it to be able to boot. When it is corrupt the nas will not complete boot.
                    Zuletzt geändert von fvdw; 30.11.2009, 01:21.

Kommentar

IT WORKS !!!

Summary:
                      I loaded the Diskimage for Knoppix from the web and started my PC with this LinuxCD. I logged in and changed to user root ($ su - root)
                      I made the same procedure as you described in your manual
                      but I copied the MBR and the partitions with "dd" directly from /dev/sda (orig Disk) to /dev/sdb (new Disk).
                      It may be that I made yesterday an error during imagecreation.
                      So I worked yesterday with wrong images. (may be)

The SPD8020 starts correctly and I see now 2TB space for my datas.

But for a 2TB disk I make a little change of your commands.
                      I think I refromat the partition /dev/sdb6 with the following command,
                      because 2TB is a big partition and it is no system partition.
                      So I can get 32GB more space.
                      1.) I need only one million inodes (files). To be very safe, I set to 10 million inodes. (Default is 122 million.)
                      2.) I reduce the reserved space for root from 20GB (1%) to 2GB (0.1%) because it is no systemdisk.
                      So I get 14 + 18 GB more space.
                      I use this command:
                      # mke2fs -j -m 0.1 -N 10000000 /dev/sdb6

A very big thank to you, for your excelent help !!
                      Wolfgang
                      Zuletzt geändert von Wolf359; 30.11.2009, 11:49.

Kommentar

good to hear that it worked Wolfgang and thanks for sharing your experience, so in principle the procedure seems to work ok.

PS. Indeed at a 2 TB disk we could reduce the space reserved for root on sda6, good tip.
                        Zuletzt geändert von fvdw; 30.11.2009, 21:09.

Kommentar

Lädt...
                        X